I am horrible when it comes to eating breakfast, I either don’t have anything, or just inhale any leftovers in my fridge. A friend of mine told me about these chia breakfast cups that she made, and they sounded so easy and delicious I had to try them. The journey then began to find mason jars to put my overnight chia seeds in, let me tell you the journey is still going for them. I eventually found some singles at Michael’s, they have been doing the trick until Canadian Tire gets restocked on the 12 pack of ones I want!
Here’s what you need to get started:
- Mason Jar (or something to let the mix sit overnight in)
- 3 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 cup of non dairy milk (I use vanilla coconut milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 – 3 teaspoons of honey, maple syrup or agave nectar (I used honey)
- Your choice of fresh fruit, granola and or brown sugar for topping it off
- Mix the chia seeds, non dairy milk, vanilla extract and your choice of sweetener in the mason jar, stir until you get a good consistency (no clumps of the chia seeds)
- Put in fridge overnight or for at least 2-3 hours, during this time the chia seeds will expand and you will get a thicker consistency
- Open, stir and top with your favorite fruit, granola and brown sugar!
Note: My favorite combination so far has been chia seeds, vanilla coconut milk, vanilla extract, honey, strawberries, blueberries, black berries, vanilla granola and a sprinkle of brown sugar! I have also gotten in the habit of making three or four at once to make life a little easier if I need an extra one for a snack 🙂