Since the summer time, I have had this uncanny obsession with Pinterest. From fashion to food, it has it all. I myself have more boards then most, including specific ones for all my favorite foods and home decor ideas. I don’t know how I landed on starting with this bean salad recipe but let me tell you, you have to try this. The original recipe is found here http://thewanderingcoconut.com/travelers-bean-salad/ but I will let you know what extra ingredients I put in mine, and how I served it up a little bit differently.
Bean Salad Ingredients:
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium or no-salt black beans, drained well
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium or no-salt garbanzo beans, drained well
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium or no-salt lentils, drained well
- 1 (15 oz) can low-sodium or no salt red kidney beans, drained well
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- Juice of 1/2 a lime and lemon
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Mix all ingredients together and serve on a bed of lettuce or as a side dish. This stays well in the fridge, and the long it sits, the better the taste.
- Make it into a taco salad by mixing with lettuce or spinach, fresh diced avocado, tomatoes,medium cheese grated and a dollop of sour cream. Serve nacho chips on side. (See picture below)
Extra add ins:
- chopped cilantro, substitute chopped fresh jalapeño for chili powder (to taste), chopped celery, diced tomato, or any other bean you like.
Happy Eating 🙂